maandag 12 september 2011

MS word and open-office

I don't like word. The microsoft product that is. For a program that's supposed to make my text look good, it's way too complicated. I think I use maybe 10% of its capabilities and yet I find myself always looking for buttons to try and get done what I need to get done. That's such bad user interaction design.
So I use open office. I don't like open office.
I like open. Just not the product. It doesn't read my MS word documents very well. Sure the text is copied and the markup is close, but it's not the same. And it looks awfull. This program also has me chasing buttons to figure out how to do things.
Both products suffer from me not knowing how the tool really works. It's like a mix between Windows and Linux. In this case the products are easy to get started with (like Windows) but then you hit a sudden and very steep learning curve (like Linux).

All I want is to do things that are obvious. Like moving tables visually. Or changing borders/spacing. I know I'm not alone. Nobody in the office I work in knows how to do those somewhat beyond the basics things either. How do you change the inter-line space and why does it suddenly change sometimes ?

How come there is no 'easy' tool that just does the basics? I'm thinking there is real market potential here. I'll just use VI in the mean time ;)

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten