zondag 18 september 2011

"windows dynamic disks - mirroring" useless

I run Windows 7 on my desktop. I'm a big Linux fan but the Linux desktop experience is IMHO still not there yet. Although I must admit the last time I tried is 3 years ago and things have improved. Guess I'm going to give ubuntu a shot soon :)

Because my aversion to data loss and downtime I run Windows on a pair of disks in a mirrored setup. One of the disks is pata and the other is sata. It's what I had lying around. Why spend money when you have parts on the shelf? My on-board ata controller doesn't support setting up a mirror over pata and sata. They must be on the same type of connection. So instead I configured windows to do the mirroring for me. Most on-board hardware 'raid' controllers are just a bios call that's handled on the cpu anyway.
Therefore there shouldn't be that much of a performance difference between doing a mirror action in the OS versus doing it via the bios on the cpu. That's the way it is under Linux in my experience.
In Windows 7 (and older versions of windows) disks need to be converted to a special partition format to be able to partake in a raid set. Be it mirror or otherwise. This can be done through the  'computer management' application, in the 'storage' section. So I set it up and all was fine. It spent some time copying the data from the source to the mirror disk and all was done. Everything is fine, right?
Not so. Every reboot the sync starts over. All of it. Not just the bits that are out of sync, everything.
That doesn't happen under Linux. There it keeps track so that when you reboot the raid is still in sync.
Not the same for Windows 7.
So what? Well it means when I boot windows my disk performance goes down the drain for a couple of hours until it has re-synced everything. And that sucks.
There are advantages too... if I was using a 'fake' raid controller and the controller would die, I run the risk of losing my data if the configuration is in the raid controller and it uses some propriatary format on the disks. Windows mirror will maintain integrity. you could even move a windows disk to a new machine and it will run. no configuration needed. Nice, yet not what I'm looking for.

Time to kick Windows mirroring out of the door and find some other way to do this.

But... you can't. Not while it's syncing. Crazy right? So first I have to wait for an entire sync to be complete, only to break the mirror and remove the sync configuration.
Too bad there are no alternative filesystems for windows. It's just fat or ntfs. Linux has many filesystems. Another reason to just choose open source. Or apple ;-)


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten